List:       linux-usb-users
Subject:    [Linux-usb-users] fdisk for usb flash (disk)drives
From:       "Bart Alberti" <bart () solozone ! com>
Date:       2003-08-29 2:20:12

I thought you might be interested in the contretemps I went through with my
prolific 64 mb USB key chain (vendor id 067).
I did a fdisk in SuSE 8.1 to set the partition type as "6" which is DOS FAT
16. This seems the stablest and avoid the Windows vfat stuff. This way since
I dual boot I can read it in any system. OK for a while the thing did not
read in either Windows or Linux. I got Blue Screen errors in Win 98 SE (yes,
I know you don't care about $Wind0ze$.) when I took it out and inserted my
cigar usb which I had low level formatted with the supplied utility.  I was
convinced it was lost the; prolific format utilities did not read and
nothing not even gparted saw the device. However the glimmer of hope was
that
/etc/fstab read /media/sda1 #HOTPLUG 12345qwerty.lmn
or such. So the device was really there. To make a long story short on a
different box in SuSE 8.1 it read fine. And it reads now back on the
original box. Win 98 does not have an "unmount" command and this causes
problems. XP does of course.
Nevertheless, I still cannot access a 128 Super Talent Flash Drive.  fdisk
sees no device; neither do any disk editors I have (Norton, gparted, lde
etc). SuSE info does see /dev/sda: so I feed the correct device name to
fdisk, I think. I will send whatever output anyone thinks will do any good.
Did I format it as "e" extended windows in fdisk? I do not remember.

Bart Alberti, bart@solozone.com