List:       linux-usb-users
Subject:    [Linux-usb-users] problems with Minolta Dimage 5 with mass storage
From:       Daniel Moreno <comac2k () teleline ! es>
Date:       2001-12-29 22:09:39

Hi,

I've bought a Minolta Dimage 5 digitall still camera. gphoto lists it as
supported via RS232. But I've been unable to find any reference to a
serial model for this camera. Everywhere I see it it's the usb version.
It uses the usb mass storage and "nearly works" under linux.

The camera seems to be detected properly and the mass storage module
sets it up as a scsi disk:

Dec 29 22:20:23 comac kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2,
assigned device number 2
Dec 29 22:20:23 comac kernel: usb.c: error getting string descriptor 0
(error=-110)
Dec 29 22:20:24 comac kernel: scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass
Storage devices
Dec 29 22:20:24 comac kernel:   Vendor: MINOLTA   Model: DIMAGE
CAMERA    Rev: 1.00
Dec 29 22:20:24 comac kernel:   Type:
Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Dec 29 22:20:24 comac kernel: Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi1,
channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Dec 29 22:20:24 comac kernel: SCSI device sda: 31264 512-byte hdwr
sectors (16 MB)
Dec 29 22:20:24 comac kernel: sda: Write Protect is off
Dec 29 22:20:24 comac kernel:  sda:<7>usb-storage: queuecommand() called

Dec 29 22:20:24 comac kernel:  sda1
Dec 29 22:20:39 comac kernel: usb.c: USB disconnect on device 2

But when I try a "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/disk", the camera just
disconnects.  :(

I've read something about this problem with the Dimage 7. I guess it
should be the same problem, since the two cameras are extremely similar.

It doesn't seem to be far from working. Anyone has any experience with
it or is there someone working on this or something related? I'd try to
do something myself if I had a clue about usb and linux drivers
programming.  O:)

Thanks in advance...

--
Daniel Moreno - ComaC