List:       linux-usb-users
Subject:    [Linux-usb-users] Archos MiniHD and/or Jukebox problems in recent kernels
From:       Thomas Heide Clausen <voop () innocent ! com>
Date:       2001-10-31 23:29:03

Hi all,

I've experienced problems with the abovementioned devices in
2.4.1[0,1,2,3]. Upon advice from Björn Stenberg (thanks for all your
help), I tried 2.4.8 - where it worked flawlessly. Any clues as to what
has changed since then?

A little more details about the problems and the setup:

Both the MiniHD and the Jukebox exhibit the same problems (which I have
seen mentioned elsewhere too): copying large files at some point
"stalls" the device. After a while (10-15 min) the operation
often resumes - but sometimes it hangs the machine and requires a hard
reboot.

I wanted to format the MiniHD with ReiserFS - but not luck: the process
stalls/hangs. Experiments shows, that a partition of about 2GB
(occationally) can be formatted. More than that seems impossible. This is
independant of whether the UHCI and UHCI-JE controller driver is being
used. Hence, I've had to make do with Fat fs as generated by a win-box ;(

My hardware is Dell OptiPlex desktop system (not sure exactly which
model...it's at work), Dell Inspiron 5000e laptop, Compaq Armada M700
laptop. All exhibit the same behavior. The disk is either the Archos
MiniHD (20GB) or the Archos Jukebox (owned by a coworker).

A quick exhibit of what consistantly can trigger the problem....

The following command:

	dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/largefile bs=10M count=100

With 2.4.1[1,2,3], a couple of houndred MB get written, at most, before
the computer stalled (hard freeze). This behavior is consistant over many
many attempts.

With 2.4.8, I got written all 100*10MB, no problems whatsoever.

The device is the MiniHD 20GB (USB). I will try to sneak away the Jukebox
from my coworker next week to try if the behavior is the same (I guess it
will be).

A snippet from my dmesg (kernel 2.4.8):

PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:07.2
uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0x3400, IRQ 11
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected

<snip>

uhci.c: :USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1, assigned device number 2
  Vendor: FUJITSU   Model: MHN2200AT         Rev: 7255
Attached scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
 sda: sda1
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 2

If I can be of any assistance re. testing/debugging, please let me
know. However I am all but intimately familiar with the USB subsystem (or
USB functioning atall) so I am probably best for testing...

Thanks for all your great work...

--thomas

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)