List:       linux-usb-devel
Subject:    RE: [linux-usb-devel] Trying to compile usb-pwc without patching
From:       Juan Antonio Martinez <jantonio () dit ! upm ! es>
Date:       2001-04-30 7:00:25

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Nemosoft Unv. wrote:

> Well, in the past I have received similar ´packages´ to compile the module
> outside the kernel. And they all suffered from the same problem: the
> presented Makefiles were specific for their system. The options passed to
> gcc vary from system to system, depending on your processor & options you
> selected for your kernel; plus you need a little -I trickery. So this is a
> very dangerous thing to do, and I have rejected every offer so far.

	Well, I think my makefile is really generic... Just tried in
at least three different machines and distributions, but anyway, is your
option

> So my advice: patch your kernel sources like a real man :)

I'm already a real man ! :P Just doesn't like to patch kernel for only
making tests, not a permanent work... Is too hard mantaining several
kernel patches at the same time

Anyway... I get my makefile to compile ( just adding several minor changes
in Makefile and #include <linux/version.h> in source code ). A problem still
remains: when insmoding gives me an stupid message as "unresolved references:
printk ". Expecting to solve it this week

Regards

        Juan Antonio          \|||/
                             / _ _ \
                             \ o o /
Juan Antonio Martinez               Universidad Politecnica de Madrid
email: jantonio@dit.upm.es          E.T.S.I Telecomunicacion
http://www.dit.upm.es/~jantonio     Ciudad Universitaria s/n
Tel:   34-1-3367366 ext 416         Laboratorio de Programación. Desp A-127-2
Fax:   34-1-3367333                 28040 Madrid, Spain