List:       linux-usb-devel
Subject:    RE: [linux-usb-devel] 2.4.0-test9-pre7 -- Please help with config
From:       "Dunlap, Randy" <randy.dunlap () intel ! com>
Date:       2000-09-30 4:31:18

> Hi,
>
> I have a Belkin ExpressBus Plus that contains a parallel port.

I was curious if that printer device/port worked.

> The device entry is here:
[snipped]

> As you can see, the device is getting mapped to the usblp driver
> successfully.  Here is the kernel log showing the initialization:
>
> Sep 28 13:06:49 aerie kernel: printer.c: usblp0: USB

The USB printer driver prints "usblp%d", where %d is the
minor device number of this printer (0 - 15).

> Bidirectional printer dev 10 if 0 alt 1
> Sep 28 13:06:49 aerie kernel: usb.c: usblp driver claimed
> interface cecbaa40
>
> So, it seems that the device entry in /dev should be named
> usblp0, correct?

Like Brad said, /dev/usb/whatever will work as long as its
  mknod /dev/usb/whatever c 180 0

And like Brad said, Linus did express a desire to make
the /dev tree hierarchical, so we try to put dev nodes
in /dev/usb/ when it makes sense.

~Randy