List:       linux-usb-devel
Subject:    Re: [linux-usb-devel] The anchor patch critique
From:       Marcel Holtmann <marcel () holtmann ! org>
Date:       2007-06-29 22:13:27

Hi Oliver,

> > > Why do you care that much about the size of struct urb? There are a few
> > > hundred of these structures at most at any given time. I think we gain more
> > > in memory usage if we make using URBs easier, shrinking drivers' code.
> >
> > Firstly, we certainly are reasoning without data here. Your hunch that
> > we'll win anything in driver code is not any better substantiated than
>
> Marcel is rewriting hci_usb. We'll learn from that.

it is almost done. We are talking about half driver size and making it
really clean and easy to understand.

 1339 hci_usb.[ch]
  638 btusb.c

The ISOC handling is still broken, but I hope to fix that really soon.

After that we can start adding remote wakeup support. This is currently
not possible with the current hci_usb driver since it is broken.

The USB anchors are working really good and reduce the complexity in
drivers since we are going in the direction on one-shot URBs without
having to track them. The anchors allow us nice to cleanup the in-fly
URBs without worrying about it.

However the complexity shrinkage only works in addition with the
URB_FREE_BUFFER flag I posted some weeks ago.

Regards

Marcel