List:       linux-usb-devel
Subject:    Re: [linux-usb-devel] Who deofnes Register interface of USB HOST
From:       Alan Stern <stern () rowland ! harvard ! edu>
Date:       2006-01-31 15:14:53

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, Mukund JB. wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am confused. Who defines the register Interface of USB?

USB doesn't have a register interface.  The USB specification only
describes the bus.

> I am sure it is not defined in USB specifications.
> I think they are defined by Intel (UHCI & EHCI) & Compaq (OHCI).

Those definitions are not part of the USB spec.  They apply only to
particular types of host controllers.

> But, then why does the USB Specifications mention the statement below in
> 3.1 Goals for the Universal Serial Bus.
>
> 	Provision of a standard interface capable of quick diffusion
> into 	product

The USB spec (and section 3.1 in particular) talks about the USB bus and
the hardware interface to the bus.  It is not concerned with interfaces
between a computer and a host controller.

Alan Stern