List:       linux-usb-devel
Subject:    Re: [linux-usb-devel] Wisegroup MP-8866 Dual USB Joypad
From:       John Gruenenfelder <johng () as ! arizona ! edu>
Date:       2006-01-31 4:14:53

On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 10:36:08AM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
>On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, John Gruenenfelder wrote:
>
>> Yes, I've tried that.  The rough sequence of events is something like this:
>>
>> 1) running on old x86 hardware the extern USB HD worked fine.  Using kernel
>>    2.6.12.
>> 2) Buy new hardware.  Reassemble machines with new parts.  New machines are
>>    amd64 so I reinstall Debian using the amd64 port.
>> 3) Compile new kernel for new hardware.  Use kernel 2.6.15.
>> 4) Machine is working fine except for external HD and minor hotplugging
>>    problem with USB KB and mouse.
>> 5) On random advice from a LUG member, recompile a 2.6.12 kernel since the
>>    drive was known to have worked even if the underlying hardware is all new.
>> 6) External HD still works with 2.6.12 kernel, but due to some NFS issues we
>>    move back to 2.6.15.
>>
>> So, that's the chain of events.  That all too place over the span of about 4
>> days.  Also, when the drive first didn't work on the newer kernel we plugged
>> it into a Windows laptop and worked okay.
>
>So earlier when you said that the USB drive didn't work with any kernel
>later than 2.6.12, in fact you didn't know that.  You only knew that it
>worked with 2.6.12 and not with 2.6.15.  But you haven't tried 2.6.13 or
>2.6.14.

Okay, I've done the tests and here are the results:

2.6.12:
external USB harddrive works fine

2.6.13:
external USB harddrive works fine

2.6.14:
kernel does not successfully boot on new hardware.  It does finish the kernel
init and does spawn init.  It appears to die while probing hardware and
had to handle this bit over the phone.  When it dies, the last few messages on
the screen are something like:

USB OHCI init... version number...
usb 1-3: new highspeed EHCI device... etc...
kernel panic - not syncing: PCI-DMA: high address but no IOMMU

The kernel never actually got to the point where it dumped the log to disk, so
this is all the info I have.  If necessary, I could have the test repeated and
have my coworked write down the messages.  I've never encountered that
particular error message and I'm not sure what it means.  Because init had
spawned, the machine was probably doing a couple things simultaneously.
However, if the ordering above is to be believed, then it would appear that
the last kernel message before the panic was regarding the external USB
harddrive.

2.6.15:
external USB harddrive does not work as mentioned before, but otherwise the
kernel is working fine.

So, that's where it's at now.  I should apoligize for the misleading bug
report I gave before.  If you look at the first message I posted I mentioned
the keyboard issue I'm having on another nForce machine.  I grouped these two
issues together.  The KB started misbehaving with kernel 2.6.13 and so I
assumed that this was related.  But, clearly, these are very different issues
and there was no logical reason behind my initial claim.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.