List:       linux-usb-devel
Subject:    Re: [linux-usb-devel] EHCI & OHCI interrupt weirdness
From:       David Brownell <david-b () pacbell ! net>
Date:       2005-01-19 1:39:01

On Tuesday 18 January 2005 3:30 pm, Jesse Barnes wrote:

> Apparently it's USB 2.0 capable, but I can't seem to get that to work.  In
> fact, if I allow the ehci_hcd driver to be loaded, regular USB 1.1 devices
> fail to work at all (I don't have a USB 2.0 device to test with
> unfortunately).  I've attached the relevant parts of my system log.  It looks
> like something bad is happening with the EHCI/OCHI interrupt handling, since
> I see "IRQ 64 nobody cared" and /proc/interrupts indicates that one of the
> interrupts (I guess one of the OHCI ports) is triggering out of control:
>
>  64:  176477117          0          SN hub  ohci_hcd
>  65:          0          0          SN hub  ehci_hcd, ohci_hcd
>
> Any ideas?

Your BIOS doesn't like our kernel.  :(

Try booting with the kernel "usb-handoff" parameter; that helps
some folk who run into this kind of problem.  At least, when the
issue is the BIOS actually _using_ that controller in some way
(like enabling "legacy" mode keyboard/mouse handling in hardware
or having a built-in USB driver itself).

Though your messages didn't show any signs of needing to handshake
with the BIOS; so the other "usual" issue is the IRQ setup being
goofed, also very often caused by disagreements between BIOS tables
and Linux.  There are a lot of boot flags to control IRQ setup,
which some people are rather intimately familiar with.

> Does it matter which driver I load first, ehci or ohci?

I recommend EHCI first, to minimize resetting of USB devices during
initialization and simplify the PM resume scenarios.  Other than
that issue, it's not supposed to matter.

- Dave