List:       linux-usb-devel
Subject:    [linux-usb-devel] Re: uhci temporary suspend
From:       Alan Stern <stern () rowland ! harvard ! edu>
Date:       2003-08-30 20:04:02

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003, Duncan Sands wrote:

> Sounds great, thanks Alan.  I guess it needs to deal with the case that
> the forced suspend comes while the hc is already suspended; then the
> corresponding wake up shouldn't really wake it up.

Hmm...  It's hard to think of a situation where that should happen.  But
it's possible.  Another thing to watch out for is a PM suspend occurring
during one of your port resets.

>  Also, multiple forced
> suspends should nest properly.  Sounds like a counter is needed :)
> However, for my workaround this isn't really needed: even if someone
> plugs in two devices at exactly the same time, the connects are
> dealt with serially.

Port resets can happen for reasons other than a new device being plugged
in.  I'll put in a mutex protecting the port-reset code; it probably
should protect the PM code as well.

Alan Stern