List:       linux-usb
Subject:    Re: [linux-usb] Kernel question
From:       dmitri <dmitri () advantrix ! com>
Date:       2000-08-11 8:43:01

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Bruno Gennaro wrote:

> Hi!!!
> I installed Linux SuSE 6.4 on my laptop.
> Everything worked fine except my sound card.
> So I downloaded a new kernel release (2.3.99.-pre9)
> because it seem that with it I can resolve the problem.
> In fact now my sound card works fine, but
> for every bootstrap a message is shown in my console
> log : " ... kernel: Cannot find map file"
>
> What does it mean?

This is mostly harmless and indicates that you haven't copied the map file
to where  it belongs.

The map file is created by linker when you build the kernel and is in
/usr/src/linux/System.map after the compilation is done. I usually copy it
to /boot/System.map-2.3.99-pre3 (name does not matter) and create a link
to it:

ln -s /boot/System.map-2.3.99-pre3 /boot/System.map

Next time you reboo the kernel will find it.

Thanks,
Dmitri