List:       linux-usb
Subject:    Re: musb: isoc pkt loss with pwc
From:       "Matwey V. Kornilov" <matwey () sai ! msu ! ru>
Date:       2016-08-30 20:44:33

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 01:13:55PM +0300, Matwey V. Kornilov wrote:
>> Hello Bin,
>>
>> I would like to start new thread on my issue. Let me recall where the issue is:
>> There is 100% frame lost in pwc webcam driver due to lots of
>> zero-length packages coming from musb driver.
>
> What is the video resolution and fps?

640x480 YUV420 10 frames per second.
pwc uses proprietary compression during device-host transmission, but
I don't know how effective it is.

>> The issue is present in all kernels (including 4.8) starting from the commit:
>>
>> f551e13529833e052f75ec628a8af7b034af20f9 ("Revert "usb: musb:
>> musb_host: Enable HCD_BH flag to handle urb return in bottom half"")
>
> What is the behavior without this commit?

Without this commit all frames are being received correctly. Single
one issue is a number of zero byte package at the beginning of iso
stream (probably during camera internal sync, I have to check how the
stream is started on x86 later). But they are never repeated after
this.

>> The issue is here both when DMA enabled and DMA disabled.
>>
>> Attached here is a plot. The vertical axis designates the value of
>> rx_count variable from function musb_host_packet_rx(). One may see
>> that there are only two possibilities: 0 bytes and 956 bytes.
>> The horizontal axis is the last three digits of the timestamp when
>> musb_host_packet_rx() invoked. I.e for [   38.115379] it is 379. Given
>> that my webcam is USB 1.1 and base time is 1 ms, then all frames
>> should be grouped close to some single value. (Repeating package
>> receive event every 1 ms won't change last tree digits considerably)
>> One may see that it is not true, in practice there are two groups. And
>> receive time strongly correlates with the package size. Packages
>> received near round ms are 956 bytes long, packages received near 400
>> us are 0 bytes long.
>
> When the host IN packet passed the deadline, the device drops the video
> data, so device only sends 0 byte packet (or 12 bytes which is only the
> uvc header without data payload).

Doesn't it mean that free part of the frame, i.e (1 msec - (t_IN -
t_SOF)) is not enough to transmit 956 bytes in device firmware
opinion?

>> I don't know how exactly SOF and IN are synchronized in musb, could
>> someone give a hint? But from what I see the time difference between
>> subsequent IN package requests is sometimes more than 1 ms due to
>> heavy urb->complete() callback. After such events only zero length
>
> Why musb delayed the IN packets, it needs to be investigated.  I will
> start to look at this webcam issue with musb soon, after I cleaned up
> the musb patches queued recently. I will update once I have progress in
> my investigation.

The last package in URB has different code path.
IN after the last package of URB is not requested in musb_host_packet_rx().
Instead, IN request is performed in the end of musb_advance_schedule()
by musb_start_urb().
musb_advance_schedule() has the following code:

        qh->is_ready = 0;
        musb_giveback(musb, urb, status);
        qh->is_ready = ready;

Which can be executed pretty long if urb->complete() handler is not
postphoned by HCD_BH.
In my case, it takes about 300 us for pwc urb->complete() to run.
Probably, the logic should be modified here, to run giveback on
current URB after the start of next URB.

>> packages are received. Surprisingly, that `synchronization' is
>> recovered sometimes in the middle of URB like the following:
>>
>> [  163.207363] musb int
>> [  163.207380] rx_count 0
>> [  163.207393] req pkt c9c76200 // Expected musb int at 163.208393
>> [  163.207403] int end
>> // No interrupt at 163.208393
>> [  163.209001] musb int
>> [  163.209017] rx_count 956
>> [  163.209108] req pkt c9c76200
>> [  163.209118] int end
>
> It looks like you used plain printk for these debug logs, which normally
> is not a good idea for this type of performance debugging. printk
> changes timing especially if the log is printed via uart console.

I think next time I will use tracepoints or something like that. Thank
you for pointing.

>> And then the series of 956 bytes long packages are received until URB
>> giveback will occasionally break it again.
>> Do I understand correctly, that SOF is generated every 1 ms by
>> hardware and should be followed by IN immediately?
>
> My understanding is that is does not have to be 'immediately', for
> example, in a few ns, it should be okay as long as the interval of IN
> packets is fixed, but I forgot what the tolerance is, I haven't read the
> related Specs for a long time.

But, If IN is postponed by 500 usec, then it means that half of frame
is wasted for isochronous transmission. Right?