List:       linux-usb
Subject:    Re: the dreaded "needs XHCI_TRUST_TX_LENGTH quirk" returns
From:       Matthew Hall <mhall () mhcomputing ! net>
Date:       2012-07-31 5:42:47

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 11:36:44PM -0700, Matthew Hall wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 11:27:47PM -0700, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> > Man, I hope my code hasn't eaten your disk.  Is there any chance you
> > could replace the drive in the enclosure and create a new file system to
> > test?
>
> This part is tricky, because I only have two of these SDXC memory cards, and I
> haven't got a reliable way of formatting exfat back onto one right now to be
> sure I get a clean run.
>
> My only Windows box is a Windows XP VirtualBox VM, because I've used Linux as
> my by-far primary OS since 2005 and main OS since 1996. I will try to see if I
> can convince XP to put a new exfat FS on there using one of the USB 2.0 ports
> and see how far I get.

Hi Sarah,

I found I could format it with the Windows XP CLI via USB 2 port from inside
VirtualBox, as long as the exfat system update was present, so we get an
"authoritative" patent-encumbered filesystem. :-/

After performing this step, while we have the quirks patch and memory
wraparound patch applied, the behavior is the same as before, although
subjectively it seems like it could be coming unmounted more rapidly.

http://www.mhcomputing.net/tmp/xhci-bug/dmesg-usb-3-port-reformatted.txt.gz

What are the next steps needed in order to make progress from this point?
Originally, I was hoping I could get the card reader working right in time for
Saturday, when I'd like to use it to transfer some huge 24 mbit AVCHD files
from a new video camera out of some SDXC cards into my desktop so I can
transcode them, but it seems like I'll be stuck with USB 2 for now.

Regards,
Matthew.