List:       linux-ultrasparc
Subject:    Debian 2.1 is Available for Sparc and UltraSparc
From:       Steve Dunham <dunham () cse ! msu ! edu>
Date:       1999-04-29 21:02:27

I was asked by the guy who usually does Debian Announcements (Nils
Lohner) to post to let people on these lists know that the latest
Debian release (2.1) includes support for Sparc and UltraSparc
systems.  (Some of you may have noticed the Ultra5 at Debian's booth
at LinuxWorldExpo - graciously provided by Sun Microsystems.)

This was be the first official release to include Sparc support
(released on March 9, 1999).

Relevant Info:

   Debian Home page is:  http://www.debian.org
 Release Notes for 2.1:  http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/
 (incl. install manual, pointers to numerous mirrors and CD vendors)
       Sparc Port Page:  http://www.debian.org/ports/sparc/

Install help and general Debian help is usually available in the
#debian channel on irc.debian.org.  (For general Linux and/or RedHat
stuff, try #linpeople.)

Why use Debian?  To put it simply: we have lots of stuff.  The 2.1
distribution for the Sparc has about 1500 packages and takes up 2
binary and 2 source CDs.

You will find that what we don't have is KDE, and Gnome 1.0, while
available, is not in the 2.1 distribution (same goes for the newer
3.3.3.1 X servers).  (They are in staging areas and will soon be put
into the current developmental distribution.)

If you do find the time try it out, you will learn that both Debian
and RedHat have their own strengths and weaknesses and will be able to
choose the right one for your needs.  (I use both RH and Debian at
work - depending on the situation.)  At the very least, you'll be able
to use up some of that spare time that you've been wondering what to
do with.

(I'd also like to thank David Miller and Jakub Jelinek for all the
work they've done getting Linux to run on the UltraSparc.)

Steve Dunham
dunham@cse.msu.edu