List:       linux-ultrasparc
Subject:    Playing VCDs
From:       Sean Callanan <sc843 () bard ! edu>
Date:       2002-03-06 16:31:10

Dear mailing list:

I have the VCD version of Star Wars, and I would very much like to be able
to play it on my Ultra 5 running Linux/sparc.

However, with kernel 2.4.9, the latest VideoLAN client and XFree86 4.1.0
(yes! yes! it works on Sparc with ATI video cards!) VideoLAN simply
crashes when given /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 (I'm using devfs) as its input.

Has anyone out there gotten VideoLAN playing VCDs on a Sun Ultra
workstation running Linux? What kernel did you use? Are there special
options one must enable for CD-XA support to be properly enabled? (I
believe CD-XA is the storage format for the video data on VCDs)

Sincerely,
Sean Callanan

--
"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that none of it
has tried to contact us." -- Calvin (www.calvinandhobbes.com)

-