List:       linux-tulip
Subject:    Problems with tulip.c 0.86I and 2.1.76
From:       F Harvell <spam () fts ! net>
Date:       1997-12-24 17:15:43

  I have recently upgraded to redhat 5.0 and was trying to build a new
2.1.76 kernel.  The tulip driver that comes with the linux kernel is
significantly out of date and does not support my SMC 9332BDT
(21140AE/
DP83223) card.  I have grabbed the latest (0.86I) driver and tried to
compile it.  It complains about the macro PCI_VENDOR_ID_LITEON as
being redefined, but, it is a warning and I have let it pass.

  Once compiled, installed, and rebooted, I was unable to get the
driver to actually work.  I believe that the problem is that the
autosense code is not working correctly.  After about 3 hours of
debugging the code, I isolated the problem down to the following two
lines (at line number 1369):

	/* Bogus: put in by a committee?  */
	mdio_write(ioaddr, tp->phys[phy_num], 4, get_u16(&misc_info[1]));

  By commenting the mdio_write call, I was able to get the module to
operate as expected.  I'm not sure what the write was supposed to do.
Is there any expected problem with leaving this code out?  What is is
supposed to do?  Any info would be appreciated.

  BTW, my system is a Tyan 1668D w/dual PPro 150, SMC 9332BDT,
BusLogic 958, Matrox Millennium and is running on a 10BaseT network.

--
Mr. F Harvell                          Phone:407 657-2202 x205
MagicNet, Incorporated                   Fax:407 679-8562