List:       linux-tulip
Subject:    Adaptec 4-port (Quartet) Card
From:       Norman Schulze <Norman.Schulze () Informatik ! TU-Chemnitz ! DE>
Date:       1997-12-19 17:25:17

We use three of these Cards in our so-called "Gigabit"-Lab
at the Technical University of Chemnitz (Germany). Two of them
run in a PC (K6-233) under Linux 2.0.32 (SuSE).
The cards are connected to a NBASE-Fast-Ethernet-Switch.
During boot-time both cards were set up properly. We wrote a script
to manually ifconfig them. The first card initializes as one would
expect it-Link status ok, 100MBit/s speed and full duplex.
The second card doesn't get a link to the switch ports on any
of their four ports.
I experimented a while and it seems that the switch-ports must be
configured for autosensing to get the second card running.
If I have autosensing the card gets 100MBit speed and full duplex
operation, but setting the ports to 100Mbit forced then ...
no link!

Can anyone give me a hint why this happens ?
Whats the difference between the two cards ?