List:       linux-tulip
Subject:    Re: "Oversized Ethernet frame spanned multiple buffers", death.
From:       Steve <steve () xtn ! net>
Date:       1997-12-07 16:32:58

David Woodhouse wrote:

> I was away for the night, and found that my machine had rebooted at about 4am.
> The logs have very little but the subject line shortly before the crash. This
> machine has no cron jobs scheduled during the night; I like it quiet while I'm
> sleeping.
>
> What causes these messages (yes I know the idea, but what _exactly_? I would
> have thought that a buffer would be 1584 bytes long and that a longer packet
> than that would be impossible)?

David,

I have been living with that same message on my console screens for
months. Nobody seems to know how to stop it.

I did see a message from someone who said it was caused by Windows 95/NT
sending out broken ARP packets.

We are using kernel 2.0.32 with Netgear/Tulip cards at 100bt. No crashes
or lockups because of this, however.