List:       linux-tiny
Subject:    Re: Linux Tiny for 2.6.23
From:       Tim Bird <tim.bird () am ! sony ! com>
Date:       2007-10-15 15:31:57

Rob Landley wrote:
> On Saturday 13 October 2007 7:18:10 am Michael Opdenacker wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've just released an update of the patches for 2.6.23:
>> http://elinux.org/images/3/3c/Tiny-quilt-2.6.23-0.tar.bz2
>>
>> I just made basic compiling tests so far, but I still need more tests
>> with all options selected. I already found an issue in a given
>> configuration. At least, a regular configuration (without the Tiny
>> settings) compiles fine.
>>
>> So, don't hesitate to try these patches, report errors and propose patches!
>
> By the way, to apply all these patches you need to use the "series" file, ala:
>   for i in $(grep '^tiny' patches/series); do patch -p1 -i patches/$i; done
>
> Or use the attached rollup patch. :)
Thanks, - that's handy.

Or, you can use quilt:

quilt push -a

> I don't know why some of the patchess are commented out in the series file...

Some of them don't work (either they don't apply, or the kernel won't
compile when they're applied).  It's weird, I know, to carry around
non-functional patches.  Historically, I have had only small increments
of time to work on these.  So sometimes perfectly good patches have
bitrotted relative to mainline.  They are kept around (but commented
out in the series file), so that they can be revived later and
worked on, if someone has the inclination.  Some of these should
probably be dropped, and maybe we can have a discussion about those
as part of the process of identifying which ones are good candidates
for mainlining soon. (splitting the patches into the really good, the ok
and the bad, as it were)

My vote for some to drop would be the whole set of inflate patches.
However, I know Matt worked hard on these, and I think they yielded a
pretty good gain, back when they were "working".  So I'm hesitant
to chuck them just yet.
 -- Tim