List:       linux-tiny
Subject:    bzImage linking problem
From:       mpm () selenic ! com (Matt Mackall)
Date:       2004-07-28 11:28:59

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 04:54:16PM +0300, Vassilis Virvilis wrote:
> Halo,
>
> I am on the list now,
>
> > 11:59moop~/ml/t$ dpkg -l make
> > Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
> > > Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
> > > / Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err:
> > uppercase=bad)
> > +++-==============-==============-============================================
> > ii  make           3.80-4         The GNU version of the "make" utility.
> >
> > Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
> > / Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err:
> uppercase=bad)
> > > / Name                      Version                   Description
> +++-=========================-=========================-==================================================================
>  ii  make                      3.80-8                    The GNU version
> of the "make" utility.
>
> Weird indeed...
>
> How do you propose to hunt down this? I don't have a problem of trying
> to pursuit this if you can give me some direction...

[re mysterious failure to build inflate.o]

First make sure you're building from a completely clean tree. Then you
might try using make's -p rule to dump the internal decision database.
Also, see what happens when you try to build the .o file directly, eg
'make arch/i386/boot/compressed/inflate.o'.

If none of that works, it's time to start trimming down makefiles to
build a minimal failing case.

> By the way do build inside or outside of the kernel tree? I build
> inside. Just guessing...

Inside.