List:       linux-thinkpad
Subject:    Re: [ltp] Re: x41 volume, mute buttons, and acpi
From:       Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh () hmh ! eng ! br>
Date:       2007-06-29 22:55:00

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007, Marcus Better wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > thinkpad-acpi will export a mixer in a future revision, so that you will
> > be able to see the second mixer in ALSA mixer control applets,
>
> That would be very useful, because the mixer applet could then indicate that
> the mixer is muted. This currently doesn't show in the mixer applet (as it
> does on Windows), so it's easy to forget that the sound is off.

The weird thing is, the sound is NOT off.  But the built-in speakers and
headphone output *is*.  If you have a port replicator or a dock, the audio
output jacks in the replicator/dock will likely have an audio signal.  They
do on a T43.

So it really is the digital version of a small volume knob to the side of
the headphone output :-)

At least on some thinkpad models, anyway.  I'd expect this to vary slightly,
since it is written nowhere.

  Henrique Holschuh