List:       linux-thinkpad
Subject:    Re: [SOLVED but with a great loss] Re: [ltp] Partition table seems corrupted
From:       Matthias Posseldt <matthi () gmx ! li>
Date:       2004-12-27 15:02:45

On Monday 27 December 2004 13:27, jcms wrote:
> I am interested in recovering my wife's Doctorate thesis (about 10
> files) from a few hundred thousand files with only numbers on their
> names.

You can try to use "grep" on all files:

grep -H -i "word-in-thesis" *

where -H prints the matching filename and -i searches case-insensitive.
That will work if your wife wrote the thesis in a format that is
human-readable (LaTeX, unpacked XML).

Regards,
Matthias

--
There is still the danger of EU software patents!

http://swpat.ffii.org/