List:       linux-sparse
Subject:    Re: [sparse] Make warnings gcc alike
From:       Sam Ravnborg <sam () ravnborg ! org>
Date:       2004-05-31 6:24:26

On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 08:19:14PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Sun, 30 May 2004, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> >
> > While this is a nice effect, the purpose of a function named 'info()' is
> > less clear than the existing 'warn()'...
>
> Well, I think "info()" should never go alone.
>
> Together with a "warn()" call (like it is used here) it makes fine sense.
> First you warn, and then you give additional information about the
> warning..
When gcc reports an error it often given better information about
where it actually found the error:
In function foo ....

This tpe of information could also be printed out by info(),
and made conditional.
But I did not dive enough into sparse to check if this is worth doing.

Also even with the latest changes sparse still give a lot of output.
So no need to make it take up one more line for each warning for now.

	Sam
-