List:       linux-sparc
Subject:    Re: tftp and piggyback
From:       "Robert S. Dubinski" <rsd () dubinski-family ! org>
Date:       2001-05-27 5:51:34

Hi,

> sort of), but not the kernels on the how-to.  It may be the MIME problem
> but I've tried downloading them again and they still won't go for me.

I fixed the main problem yesterday, and did tests offsite.  The kernel
images were properly recognized as 'application/x-gzip', while the
system.map and config files are sent as 'text/plain'.  The MD5 checksums
of the kernel files are also now there for your convenience.  Note that
as they are now gzipped, you must ungzip them once downloaded before
putting them to use.

Please email me directly with what you're experiencing so I have a better
idea where it's breaking.  The LDP's mirror is no longer up to date, so
do not use the links there.

> Just for my 2 cents worth I think the how-to is great, but it needs to
> evolve like everything else.  Once I get my javastation going I'll make
> a few suggestions.

Please make as many suggestions as you think will help others.   When you
email me directly, it gets in the HOWTO immediately.

I don't know where the rumor got started that it doesn't evolve.  On the
contrary, it's had numerous revisions since initial publishing.  It is
one of only a couple HOWTOs on the Linux Documentation Project that has
already been upgraded to Docbook XML, and still one of the only ones with
its own URL-redirector (javastation-howto.homeip.net) along with a local
mirror of referenced files ready for download.

One very major change planned for the future is the inclusion of NetBSD
setup and files, as NetBSD is also now a platform that runs on the
JavaStations.

However, if people do not send any feedback about it, it's not apt
to change very much.

> In the mean time, I think a link to the i386 version
> of piggyback at http://www.tsac.fsnet.co.uk/linux/javastation.html would
> be good, but having said that it complains that it can't find the kernel
> headers for me.

There is a version of i386 piggyback linked in the HOWTO.  I've not seen
this page link before, so it may be a different version than I have.
Will check it out and add.

Again, please email directly relating any specific concerns with the HOWTO,
and they will be addressed ASAP.   The sparclinux list is not a proper
forum for sending any bug reports specifically regarding the HOWTO.

-Robb

-