List:       linux-sparc
Subject:    [OT] Re: SS10 UPGRADE
From:       Keith M Wesolowski <wesolows () chem ! unr ! edu>
Date:       2000-11-13 23:31:28

On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 05:14:44PM -0600, sim wrote:

> I have a SS10 w/ 64 MB ram and a Texas Instruments CPU running at 40MHz.  I
> am looking to upgrade.  What would be the best processor upgrade for this
> machine.  I have seen overdrive processors for the SS10 that go over a
> 100MHz ( don't remember the exact speed ).  I am looking for something
> reletively cheap and that will work without any trouble.

Well, if you check the FAQ you'll see that all the HyperSparc CPUs are
supported.  I've had nothing but success with my 150's.  The fastest
MBUS CPU to my knowledge was the dual 200 MHz; you certainly won't
find one at any sane price if at all.  Please note that it is improper
to compare clock rates directly between the SuperSparcs and
HyperSparcs.  In any case, you can choose virtually any available
CPU(s) for your system and expect them to work.

> a problem.  It is running Redhat 6.2.  Is there any better Distro for the
> SS10?  What about BSD?  Or the new free Solaris OS?

Debian is also available.  I don't believe BSD supports SMP, if that's
an issue for you, and the OpenBSD people do not list every HyperSparc
that was made as being supported.  Solaris is useless trash, "free" or
not, IMNSHO.

--
Keith M Wesolowski			wesolows@chem.unr.edu
University of Nevada			http://www.chem.unr.edu