List:       linux-sparc
Subject:    Re: Reading Sparc floppies under Linux
From:       John Aldrich <john () chattanooga ! net>
Date:       2000-04-28 14:28:08

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, you wrote:
> Dependending on how this was done, they may need to be cat'd together (and
> thus, order matters). I suspect your problem above is because you are not
> reading the first disk (which is the only one that tar would recognize
> since it contains the tar header) and the rest will need to be read in the
> right order afterwords.
>
> Get them all as files first using the dd command, atleast then you wont be
> messing around with a slow floppy while you're working with the data.

I've tried "tar xzvf /dev/fd0" and "tar xvf /dev/fd0" as
well as using dd to copy the disk image from /dev/fd0 to
"floppy1". Then I tried the above command lines to no
avail.
One very nice person on the list let me upload a disk image
to him and he tried virtually every method of looking at it
he could think of and had no better results.
The client is going to dust off the machine on which these
were created and see if he can figure out how it was done
(2 or 3 years back.. <G>)
Thanks for all the help, folks... I'm going to drop this
topic (which is only BARELY on topic to begin with <G>)
unless something earth-shaking comes up. :-)
	John
-
the body of the message to majordomo@vger.rutgers.edu