List:       linux-sparc
Subject:    Re: Seti@Home doesn't support Sparc Linux
From:       Eric Jorgensen <alhaz () xmission ! com>
Date:       1999-04-30 7:27:09

"Chris A. Icide" wrote:
> They don't currently support Sparc Linux,  I've sent two emails to thier
> "bug list/suggestions" address asking about thier plans to support this,
> and got no response.  Please feel free to drop in and send them an email if
> you don't mind to let them know that there are a few of us out here.

	I still don't understand the hype.

	The SETI@Home project is in no way affiliated with SETI, for starters.

	Second, the data being analyzed represents an extremely thin band of
the spectrum, a pre-recorded sequence which is considered by many to be
of dubious value.

	Except for the supposedly really cool screen saver, which *nix users
don't get anyway, you're better off giving your spare integer cycles to
that distributed primes effort. At least then you've got an outside
chance of becoming a footnote in somebodies math theory textbook, if
your computer finds one.

	Yeah, I'm a killjoy. I just spent 4 hours making two copies of audio
CD's and various gold-tone coasters and it's 1:30am. Sorry.

 - Eric
-
the body of the message to majordomo@vger.rutgers.edu