List:       linux-sparc
Subject:    Re: SOC fiber channel modules howto fix it
From:       "C.Newport" <crn () netunix ! com>
Date:       2003-04-11 21:35:34

I hat following up to my own messages, but I have found
the answers.

This is a mess, so I will be putting some information up on
the Splack website. You might also want to include this
in the sparc-linux FAQ.

Symptom :-
When trying to use the soc  driver, usually to connect a
Sun SSA fiber channel array, I get an error message
soc0 portB Too many continuations entries 0

Cause :-
The Linux soc.c driver depends on having version 1.52 of the
SOC (FC25/S) board (501-2553 or 501-2069). This is the latest
version and virtually all boards found "in the wild" are
version 1.33 or earlier.

Solution :-
This cannot be fixed under Linux, you first need to install
a recent version of Solaris (I used Solaris 8) or put your
board into a suitable Solaris machine.

 CAUTION - this procedure will flash-update *all* SOC boards
           found in the system. You might need to remove
           any other SOC boards before proceeding.

Boot Solaris into single user mode by interrupting the boot
process with Stop-A from the keyboard or <break> from a
serial console. Then boot with boot -s

Log in as root and check that the reqired packages are installed.
You need SUNWssad (32 bit) SUNWssadx (64 bit) and SUNWssaop.

pkgchk SUNWssad
                 <-- no error so it is installed

If the required packages are missing install them from CD
using pkgadd.

Now check the firware Fcode level
ssaadm fc_s_download

If the firmware is less than 1.52 update it
ssaadm fc_s_download -f /lib/firmware/fc_s/fc_s_fcode

This should fix the problem, the firmware in your Sparc Storage
Array is unlikely to be a problem, but read the man page
for ssaadm then use the ssaadm display command to get the
firmware version. The firmware should be 3.12 and the man
page tells you how to update it. The firmware file is at
/lib/firmware/ssa/ssafirmware.

-