List:       linux-sound
Subject:    Re: Recording with SB16?
From:       Britton <fsblk () aurora ! uaf ! edu>
Date:       2000-04-04 17:32:29

sox rec and play seem to introduce lots of noise under the best of
circumstances; without changing any wiring or mixer settings I get much
better quality from brec/bplay (which uses sys V ipc and multiple
processes do simultaneous write between audio device and memory and
between memory and disk).  brec/bplay is old, apparently unmaintained, and
buggy (not all the options work as expected, or indeed at all, for raw
sound data for example) but quite functional.  In addition, there is a
relatively new package call yarec (yet another recorder) which seems to be
trying to pick up where brec left off, though it omits some (theoreticly
useful) bplay options.  I myselft will soon be putting out an alpha
release of a program I intend to call rawrec, which will only deal in raw
audio, but with many options to control recording, if by any chance you
would like to take a look at it I could send it to you.

Britton Kerin
__
GNU GPL: "The Source will be with you... always."