List:       linux-sound
Subject:    Re: motherboard/cpu combo for sound
From:       Brian Alexander Todd <bat5 () po ! cwru ! edu>
Date:       2000-02-24 15:57:40

I should note that I have a BP6 and while it is great while
its working (for days on end) its bios is known to be flakey
and can cause problems for some people (who feel that stability
is on the month time scale).  I don't want to go on and on
since this is a sound mailer but check www.bp6.com before you
buy a bp6.  There's a mailing list too.

At 03:09 PM 2/23/00 -0500, Peter Leif Rasmussen wrote:
>If price wasn't a problem for sure I would go with an SMP system, and with
>the AbitBP6(?) motherboard you can even get an economic dual Celeron system.
>Linux 2.4 will have a vastly improved SMP functionality and stability and
>without knowing particular details I would expect multiple CPUs to handle
>time critical pieces better than one CPU that must deal with everything, eg.
>sound recording.
>
>Otherwise I agree that an Athlon system now is the way to go, and I would
>rather go with that than a single CPU Celeron. In any case, when you have
>set your budget and found out how much you want to spend on the mobo+CPU
>subsystem, if comparing Celeron and Athlon, the Athlon is faster for the
>same CPU-speed and I don't know of any issues with regard to sound (the
>Athlon has/had some issues with some video-cards as far as I remember).
>
>In any case, anything but Celeron and Athlon should be avoided due to both
>pure performance and price/performance issues.
>
>Peter
>
>Paco wrote:
>>
>> On 23 Feb 2000, Laura Conrad wrote:
>>

>> > I'm going to be upgrading my machine soon.  I wondered if there's
>> > anyone here who follows the hardware market better than I do, and has
>> > an opinion about what's a good buy at the moment.
>> >
>> > I'd also be interested in what people would get if price were no
>> > object, although that isn't exactly the case with me.  And in
>> > predictions about how much better a machine I can get for less in 6
>> > months.
>>
>> Well... if price is not an object then I'd load up with a nice fat 1GHz
>> Athlon.  (You'll need to wait about a month or so to get one.)  As far as
>> waiting goes, you'll be able to pick up a 800MHz Athlon in about a month
>> for less than I paid for my 550MHz one month ago.
>>
>> But... if price *is* an object, and you're looking for bang-for-the-buck,
>> I'd suggest a celeron (although I despise Intel) or an AMD K6-II or
>> K6-III.  I previously used a K6-II-350 and it worked GREAT for hard disk
>> recording.  Midi?  I don;t know anything about that.  I never use it.
>>
>> regards,
>> -Paco

Brian Todd
email:   bat5@po.cwru.edu