List:       linux-sound
Subject:    no midi on sound cards
From:       Alexandre Oberlin <aoberlin () netcourrier ! com>
Date:       2000-01-19 13:35:01

Hi all,

I have been trying for ages to read a midi file with my sound cards on
Linux. I can't repeat here all I tried, it would take a book...
I have a SB Live value and a classic GUS. I think I finally understood
that midi is not supported for SB (emu10k1) but I've never seen that it
is also the case for GUS.
I currently use kernel 2.2.13 with modular sound for GUS. I load the
module with
io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1
I can launch playmidi 2.4 without problem with option -g for GUS,
everything looks OK, even the xplaymidi animation, only I hear nothing.
On my external synth using mpu401, everything works fine with option -e.
Maybe the problem is with playmidi but it is not evident to find another
player and get it to work. If I use "cat 001.mid > /dev/sequencer" then
I get a segmentation fault.
P.S. Everything works fine on DOS/Windows 3.1
Cheers
--
Alexandre Oberlin
http://www.altern.org/ao