List:       linux-sound
Subject:    Re: [alsa-devel] Re: Bad MIDI performance : 10ms latency instead of the expected 1-1.5ms
From:       Benno Senoner <sbenno () em ! gardena ! net>
Date:       1999-08-27 9:59:39

> >200bytes/sec is just rudiculous , how do you plan to drive an external synth
> >with that little MIDI bandwidth ?
>
> check with creative that they actually intend this as a use of the
> card :)

> but seriously, Benno you know the difference between a system in which
> a single application can take full control of the machine by having a
> callback run in interrupt context and one like Linux. with the former
> system, the 2 byte FIFO isn't a problem, or rather, it isn't much of a
> problem.

Yes under DOS this is not a problem since the sequencer it the only app
which runs, but on a multitasking system crappy hardware can monopolize
the CPU quite a bit.

When I get a 2nd PC, I will test the following:
Windoze PC+ AWE64 running a sequencer with the MIDI port in thru mode,
connect the 2nd PC running Linux (with a DECENT MIDI interface)
and then send the full MIDI bandwidth out to the poor windoze box,
and measure the midi delay and especially the CPU usage on the box.
:-)

> >If this is true, then I will throw away my AWE64 and buy an AudioPCI :-)
>
> Yes, basically all your problems arise from using consumer
> hardware. In particular, consumer hardware that isn't designed to work
> correctly in (1) a multi-user, multitasking, virtual memory OS and (2)
> isn't really intended to do much more than make noise for games and
> sound effects.
>
> As I never tire of saying, Hoontech's card is $39 and its hard to beat.

Do you know if this card is available in Europe ( Italy/Germany) ?
I heard that the S/N ratio is quite good.
(Is this card capable of providing 2 separate stereo outputs
( 4 chans ?)

regards,
Benno.