List:       linux-sound
Subject:    Re: Streaming disk I/O kills file buffering and makes Linux unusable
From:       Gerard Roudier <groudier () club-internet ! fr>
Date:       1999-08-24 7:56:05

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Gerard Roudier wrote:

> If you are in a hurry but are a courageous guy ;-), you can, for now, add
> some file control (fcntl) option that tells the kernel to discard the
> pages of data of this file once read by user

> (or just to set the pages at the end of the LRU in recent kernels),

This suggestion anticipates too much about page map LRU inclusion in the
kernel main stream and just makes the suggestion just broken). Without
Andrea's page LRU, it may happen that useful page of data will still be
thrown away after a shrink_mmap revolution.
By the way, if 2.4 does not include Andrea's page LRU, I know of people
who will be very disappointed.