List:       linux-sound
Subject:    Re: Sound Card for quality recording
From:       Bill Nottingham <notting () redhat ! com>
Date:       1999-04-22 3:39:24

Craig Wright (spiral@eece.unm.edu) said:
> Can anyone recommend a sound card that does an exceptional job at
> recording?  I've considered the turtle beach pinacle, but of course
> that would require me to not use linux which is not an option.
>
> Is the Sound Blaster Live an acceptable alternative or is there some other
> high end card out there that linux supports?  I'd be really interested to
> know what anyone thinks about this.

Actually, there are some TB Pinnacle drivers (included in Linux 2.2,
see also http://www.rpi.edu/~veliaa/pinlinux.html), while there
are *not* currently drivers for the SB Live. (Creative has hired
someone to write them, but at last check they weren't planning
on open-sourcing them, and there wasn't any word on when they
would be finished.)

Bill