List:       linux-sound
Subject:    Soundblaster AWE64 and RedHat 5.2
From:       Idris Samawi Hamid <ishamid () acsu ! buffalo ! edu>
Date:       1999-03-27 14:32:41

Greetings:

I bought, from a linux systems distributor, a SoundBlaster AWE64
soundcard. I cannot
get it to work. I use Linux Mandrake 5.3 (RedHat 5.2).

I ran sndconfig but it failed to set up sound (although my card is
listed in the soundcard list). I tried again and sndconfig would just
freeze, forcing me to have to kill kvt. This happened a number of times.

dmesg gives me
------
Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
sb: dsp reset failed.
AWE32: not detected
------
My old RedHat 5.0 Installation guide says that the AWE64 only works in
SB-16 mode. Isthis related to the [sound] problem?

I tried sndconfig --noprobe (this option somehow does not cause
sndconfig to freeze). Based on info in the second and smaller SB booklet

that came with the soundcard, I changed the settings as follows:

I/O PORT   IRQ   DMA 1   DMA 2   MPU I/O       x
  0x220    [5]     0       0     [0x330]       x
  0x240     7     [1]      1      0x300        x
  0x260     9      3       3                   x
  0x280    10             [5]                  x

But it still does not work! I checked my Win95 partition and the sound
card is indeed installed on irq5 (where it works just fine).

I checked /proc/interrupts:

/proc]# more interrupts
 0:      45539   timer
 1:        282   keyboard