List:       linux-sound
Subject:    Re: Driver for Philips Acoustic Edge (PSC 706)
From:       Zwane Mwaikambo <zwane () linux ! realnet ! co ! sz>
Date:       2002-01-27 6:36:57

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Richard V Robinson wrote:

> Hi.  Can anyone tell me if there exists a linux driver for the Philips
> Acoustic Edge (PSC 706) sound card?  Or if someone is working on one?

Could you please supply a lspci of the sound card.

> If not, I'm a fairly resourceful and clever programmer.  And I have the
> card in question.  How does one get started creating drivers for
> hardware like this?

You can start of by finding out the chip on the sound card and getting the
datasheets for it. If the chip supports or is supported by some current
drivers, you could make the appropriate additions to the supported cards
in the particular modules (add Vendor/PCI IDs) and see if it works.
Otherwise you could start work on a new driver :) It might be an idea to
read through a couple of drivers and see how they do things. For
additional help regarding kernel hacking in general, check out
www.kernelnewbies.org and the mailling list is at
kernelnewbies@nl.linux.org

Good luck, and happy hacking :)

Regards,
	Zwane Mwaikambo

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-sound" in