List:       linux-sony
Subject:    Re: [Linux-sony] hd enclosure dual (usb 2.0 and Firewire)
From:       John Andersen <jsa () norcomix ! dyndns ! org>
Date:       2005-01-07 5:35:36

On Thursday 06 January 2005 07:02 pm, Steve Varadi wrote:
> Now I got another kind: macally phr 250cc
>   http://www.powermax.com/cgi-global/generate_css_temp.cgi?p=c20024
> Unfortunately this drive even not recognize by my system (kernel
> 2.6.8-24.10)
>
> If someone has a working external 2.5" hd with dual mode please let me
> know. Thanks:
> Steve

I use one of them, Mine looks like this one:
http://www.goodway.com.tw/en/product3.asp?listid=3&id=3&subid=6&pid=151&typeid=2

I got it as a case kit from one of my suppliers, he got it from Taiwan (he is
an importer of this kind of stuff).  Then I added the disk (standard laptop
40gig 2.5 inch) separately.

I've had real good luck with it, USB 1.1 is what I have on my GRX570, and it
works (slowly - usb1.1 is pathetic).  I've also tried it on usb2 on a
different machine and it is very fast.

Most of the time I use it on Firewire.

When I switched to SuSE 8.2 from Suse 8.0, I found that Suse only
scans the first two scsi buses, (firewire appears as scsi in my distro,
YMMV).

Because I use IDE Scsi, and the mem-stick slot is also
treated as scsi, SuSE didn't find the firewire because it defaulted
to the third scsi bus (#2, because they number from 0) till I figured out
what it was and added this little script:

------start
#   add scsi bus 2 for firewire drive if not found by system
echo "scsi add-single-device 2 0 0 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi
/root/bin/rescan-scsi-bus.sh 2
-----end

Note that this unit has an external power supply and does not draw
power from USB or firewire.  I'm aware of some that try to draw power
from usb, and you have the problem of over-drawing the usb bus, or
having to have the usb connected even when using firewire.

You didn't say if you had the optional power adaptor on your
unit or not, but your symptoms seem to suggest you were trying
to get power from usb, which was not available when firewire
was used.

--
John Andersen - NORCOM
http://www.norcomsoftware.com/