List:       linux-sony
Subject:    Re: [Linux-sony] Radeon M6 and DRI
From:       Jochen Michel <jmichel () gmx ! net>
Date:       2004-10-18 14:38:48

Hi,

Kenneth Mokkelbost wrote:
> I've been playing around with xorg-6.8 lately and
> noticed that X disables DRI at 1400x1050x24 because it
> needs 17325KB of video memory and M6 only has 16MB.
> DRI can be enabled at lower resolutions.
>
> So, the following questions come to mind:
> Firstly; is it possible to trick X to enable DRI? For
> instance by using some of my main RAM as video RAM?
> Secondly (and not that important); why is DRI so
> hungry for RAM?

In my Vaio Z1 RMP there is a Radeon M6, too. I'm still using XFree86
(SuSE 9.1 default, likely to be 4.4beta2) with 1400x1050x16 with DRI 3D
acceleration. This works quite good (although this graphics chip is
really slow compared to the modern ones). So maybe reducing the color
depth from 24 bits to 16 bits is an option for you.
I think the dri project (dri.sf.net) has some wiki or mailinglist where
you can expect a more detailed answer to your problem.

Bye, Jochen.
P.S.: glxgears gives me about 570 FPS in Gnome 2.8, about 580 in
blackbox and about 578 FPS in KDE 3.3 (average values over 30sec). This
is interesting.