List:       linux-sony
Subject:    Re: [Linux-sony] OT: Max RAM for R600MX
From:       "Raphael Langerhorst" <raphael-langerhorst () gmx ! at>
Date:       2003-01-31 7:11:32

Thanks John!

The R600HFPD came with 256MB of RAM and in the data sheet it says that
it can be upgraded to 384MB, but when I get you right it would be
possible to upgrade it to 512MB? Since 256MB are built-in and I can add
exactly one SO-DIMM (which could also be a 256MB piece instead of a
128MB piece). At the moment I haven't ordered any RAM but I'm planning
to do so.

And sorry for mistaking your comment in your last mail.

greetings,
Raphael

> Hi all,
>
> As far as I know the R600-MX model was limited to 256MB when I bought
my
> R600-HFPD last August ... but, maybe things have changed since ;)
> (and maybe you can remove the built-in 128MB and put in two 256MB
> pieces, as mentioned by Jack Coates).

er, that wasn't what I said.

> But this mail made me think of something...
>
> HOW can I actually upgrade my precious piece of notebook? I mean, I
> can't see any sign of a RAM slot or something. Do I actually have to
> open it, or am I just blind? I would like to know this, because I
don't
> want to take it apart if there is no use in doing so.

It does have to be opened. Get a little screwdriver, flip it over, (do I
have to mention turn it off first?), and look for hatches. There'll be a
hatch for the hard drive and another for the RAM. Your 128M is soldered
to the board, but the second 128M that you probably ordered as an
upgrade is in a SO-DIMM slot. Push the black tabs to the side and it
will pop up; gently lift it out and replace it with a 256M SO-DIMM.

> greetings,
>
> Raphael

Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...