List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: What SMP board to choose?
From:       John Stoffel <stoffel () casc ! com>
Date:       2001-04-30 17:05:01

William> I have been reading this list and investigating boards for
William> smp. One company that stands out for supporting SMP is
William> Supermicro. Their boards are more expensive, and the higher
William> end boards require registered memory, but they have a new
William> lower priced entry called the 370DDE that can take
William> unregistered memory and is just a bit more expensive than a
William> VP6 or a CUV4X-D. Their boards appear to be less for tweeking
William> overclock performance and more for basic stability.

I too have been looking into getting an new SMP home machine as well,
if only to play SimCity3000 faster than I can on my dual PPro 200mhz
system.  It's actually ok on there, but could be faster.

Anyway, some of my requirements/wishes are:

Dual processor
1gb ram support (who knows if I'll ever need it?)
1-2 ISA slots (one shared with a PCI slot would be great).
5 PCI slots
AGP slot

Pentium II/III compatible.  I'm not sure whether slot 1 or 370 sockets
is better.  It's not really clear.  The other thought is to just get a
pair of slower Xeon processors, since their large cache should be a
big boost over raw clock speed.  I'm also not slavering to be on the
highest edge of performance either, I'm quite happy to be back on the
performance curve and in the sweet spot on the price curve.

Is the Abit BP6 still disparaged as much as I think?  I've looked at
Abit boards on the past and been impressed, but...

Thanks,
John
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-smp" in