List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Problems with an Abit VP6
From:       Trevor Harrison <trevor () harrison ! org>
Date:       2001-02-12 21:01:16

I recently got an Abit VP6 after having a BP6 for a year.  However, the
VP6 isn't very stable, under both Linux and W2k.

I found that doing a flood ping (either into the box or out to a
different box) causes a hard lock.  I yanked all the cards (sound,
scsi), leaving only video and the NIC, problem remains.  I swapped the
NIC (an EPRO 100) for a different card (3C905), same problem.  I haven't
swapped video cards.

Going to a UP kernel causes the problem to go away.

Booting with noapic and/or nosmp does not fix the problem.

Under W2k, I have some issues with the network interface dropping under
load (q3), then the entire machine becoming sluggish to the point of
lagging when moving the mouse.

I was wondering if anyone else has any opinions on this mobo.  I like
the speed (1 minute kernel compiles), but if I can't get thru a night of
playing q3 without it locking up on me, speed doesn't really matter.

I have a friend with a VP6, slightly slower cpus.  I'm going to try to
get him to test the same thing to see if its reproducible on his
machine.

VP6
2 x Intel 933Mhz
768M ram
GeForce DDR
Intel Epro100 or a 3Com 905b

Linux 2.2.16 (Redhat)

--
Give a man a fire, and he is warm for a day.  Set a man on fire, and he
is warm for the rest of his life.

-