List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: Abit bp6 - stability concerns
From:       Manuel Lindauer <manuellindauer () gmx ! net>
Date:       2000-08-30 15:38:24

M> Just got an offer of one of those with 2 celeron 400's, good price. The
M> owner reports having oc'ed cpu's to 600, not with linux, shame on him :-
M> I don't like the idea of oc'ing cpu's that much, though...

M> I did a search throu my smp archives, seems the bp6 is a somewhat
M> doubtful buy in terms of stability, judging from the near 180 replies...
M> I also looked at most of the bp6 sites/faq's mentioned here.

M> Looks to me like the smp workaround abit made to make it work with
M> otherwise smp-disabled s370 celerons may be the cause of reported
M> problems under stress. No expert on the matter, though.

M> The board is going to be my mixed server/workstation and run 24/7, lots
M> of compiles, some compute intensive stuff, and, though to the less
M> serious side, seti. Don't want anything unstable.

M> Expected hardware setup:
M> bp6 (dunno the revision yes) guess I'll use the qq-bios rev.
M> Buslogic flashpoint scsi ultra
M> two ibm dcas 4.3G and one dfhs; scsi cdrom and burner
M> Might go for an ide dvd later
M> One 128MB 8ns, one 32MB 7ns sdram
M> 3c905c nic; later substituted with a d-link fourport tulip-based nic
M> Leadtech 3D s320v 16MB video; later with a ATI rage 128/fury
M> Haven't decided on sound yet, suggestions welcome

M> One thing I can't make out in general: Has anyone been able to use any
M> celeron based smp board beyond 100Mhz fsb?
M> I tested the above mentioned ram's at 124Mhz on uniboards, so I'm still
M> pondering whether to go for a fast unicpu board over a slower-fsb smp.

Hi,
I'm using the bp6 mobo since last octobre without any bigger problems.
I'm running setiathome all the time with 100% cpu usage on both 400mhz cereons@552 mhz and
i don't have any problems with it. i have 192 mb ram on it and i only
had the problem to get the drivers for the hpt366 driver, but for that
i only had to download a kernel patch from ftp.kernel.org

Manuel Lindauer                           mailto:manuellindauer@gmx.net

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-smp" in