List:       linux-smp
Subject:    RE: duron and smp
From:       Simon Wing-Tang <Simon.Wing-Tang () colesmyer ! com ! au>
Date:       2000-08-28 5:54:59

Howdy,
	I week or so ago I was reading some info in Intels MP spec V 1.1 and
1.4. This mentioned that as the MP spec is of course owned by Intel so any
chip maker must license the spec from Intel.  Somehow I don't think Intel
will sell it too cheaply to AMD.  However it went on to mention that the AMD
CPU's are compliant to a spec called Open_MP ( or something like that ),
however so far I have not heard of any chipsets that support the Open_MP
spec.

	As mentioned, I think it is only a matter of time before we start to
see chip sets supporting multiple AMD processors.  After all if AMD really
want to take on Intel they will need to start making inroads in the server
arena.  They have a great CPU and the bus technology has already been proven
in the Alpha series of servers.  Let's hope the wait isn't too long.

	Simon.

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-smp" in