List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: Problem with SMP and SCSI
From:       stefan mojschewitsch <intxxx () intxxx ! net>
Date:       2000-08-13 23:46:30

hi bertold,

Berthold Kramm wrote:

> While Linux is booting without any problem with no SMP compiled in, I
> encounter the following message while booting the same linux kernel compiled
> as SMP:
>
> "aborting command due to timeout pid0, scsi1, channel0, id0, lun0
> trying harder"
>
> This message repeats endlessly until I reset the system ...
> Seemingly something goes wrong while initiating the SCSI devices.
>
> I have Suse Linux 6.4 with a kernel 2.2.14 installed. The motherboard is a
> Gigabyte GA6BXDS with 2 PII 450 MHz processors and 128 Mbyte.

i have a problem too with scsi timeout when booting a machine with 4
ppros
and intel chipset with kernels upto 2.2.16 and 2.4.0-test5.
mine runs with bootArgument 'noapic' in lilo.
compile with smp and give this a try.

i will connect a terminal to my machine and post the problem with
the kernel messages till it hangs on scsi.

<snip>

greetz
stefan
-