List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: Interrupt problem with RTL8139 driver
From:       Andrew Morton <andrewm () uow ! edu ! au>
Date:       2000-05-27 15:24:20

Raphael Manfredi wrote:

> I'm running 2.2.15 on an ABIT BP6, with 2 Celeron 466, with APIC enabled.
>
> Yesterday, I installed an RTL8139 Ethernet card (PCI 100 MB), and
> recompiled my kernel.
>
> All went well, except for this single message I got in my logs:
>
> May 27 12:04:22 nice kernel: eth0: RTL8139 Interrupt line blocked, status 4.
> May 27 12:04:22 nice kernel: eth0: SMP simultaneous entry of an interrupt handler.
> Is this known?
> What does it means?

It's harmless.

The driver is attempting to see if the NIC is generating an interrupt which isn't \
actually interrupting the CPU.  If so, it prints this out and calls the ISR "by \
hand".

It's a sneaky trick of Mr Becker's which is designed to allow the NIC to limp along \
even if the interrupts aren't working.  It will work nicely on uniprocessor and on \
SMP but will be occasionally fooled into thinking that a perfectly good NIC is broken \
on SMP.

--
-akpm-
-