List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: Memory Bandwidth Question
From:       Qiru Zhou <qzhou () research ! bell-labs ! com>
Date:       2000-05-22 23:51:20

I don't think 440FX do interleave of memory. So it doesn't matter.

-- QZ

> "Prophete J. Charles" wrote:
>
> I am sure this question has been asked before, but here goes.  On an Intel 440FX \
> dual Pentium pro motherboard, what would be the best configuration for 128MB of \
> RAM? Since the board has 4 banks, would it be better to: a - have 4 banks all \
> populated with 32MB each b - have 2 banks populated with 64MB each
> Now this would be for smp kernel 2.2.xx
>
> The real question is what is the memory bandwidth of a 440FX chipset. I know for my \
> DEC alpha machine, due to the larger memory bandwidth, the best configuration is \
> (a), but for this machine, I don't know.
> Prophete J. Charles

Qiru Zhou                           qzhou@research.bell-labs.com
2D428 Bell Labs, Lucent Technologies          tel (908) 582-4562
600 Mountain Avenue, Murray Hill, NJ 07974    fax (908) 582-7308
Multimedia Communications Research Laboratory
(http://www.bell-labs.com/org/1133)
Lucent Speech Solutions (http://www.lucent.com/speech)