List:       linux-smp
Subject:    ping problems
From:       Christopher Thompson <chris () hypocrite ! org>
Date:       2000-02-29 15:22:46

I have an ABIT-BP6 motherboard with two celeron CPUs inside.  When I use the
ping command, the time it reports is sometimes wrong.

About 90% of the packets it sends out have an accurate time reported, in the
region of 0.6 ms (I'm pinging a local machine on my LAN).  About 10% of the
packets show up with stupid times, in the region of 429487891.6 ms.  Now, I
*know* this is not accurate.  I mean, I'm sitting here, doing the ping, and
they are all coming back very quickly.

It isn't just ping that does this.  Other programs do as well, like the ftp
program which sometimes reports negative time elapsed to grab a file.

I'd suspect that xntp was causing these problems except that ping shows this
far too frequently for me to believe xntp is causing me problems.

Anyone have any other ideas?  I'm using 2.2.15pre9 SMP by the way.

--
Christopher Thompson  http://hypocrite.org/
The unexamined life is not worth living