List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: Help on making a driver SMP safe.
From:       Juan Gonzalez <juang () gate ! net>
Date:       2000-01-23 19:13:23

> this isn't exactly correct.  The thread will execute on a single cpu
> unless it gets displaced by another thread.

Yes, you're right, of course.  In an attempt to simplify things, I believe I actually
confused it further.  As I re-read my note, I realize how it certainly says the wrong
thing.  I meant to say that the thread will not execute on the two processors at the same
time.  That was the issue that I interpreted (or misinterpreted) from Rafael's comments.
You're right though, a thread may be displaced and then it may continue execution on any
processor.

In any case, my real point was that a thread will execute each instruction only once.
The instruction won't be repeated by the other processor (even if the thread is
displaced).

Sorry for the confusion,
Juan

-