List:       linux-smp
Subject:    SMP on boot complains
From:       "Robert L. Brown JR" <rbrownjr () corp ! earthlink ! net>
Date:       1999-11-27 22:09:01

Hello,

  I recently installed RedHat 6.0. It asked if I want to install an SMP
kernel for my SMP board and I answered yes. Unfortunately, on bootup, the
uni-processor kernel is booted.

I looked in /boot and noticed that the smp kernel is there, but it's not
configured in /etc/lilo.conf. I added an entry in /etc/lilo.conf for the
smp kernel, then ran /sbin/lilo. Then I rebootd. This time the boot process
complained that the modules were compiled for kernel 2.2.5-15, but
not for 2.2.5-15smp, the smp kernel.

I looked in /lib/modules and there is a directory for both 2.2.5-15 and
2.2.5-15smp. There are compiled modules in both directories. I noticed that
there is a dependency file , modules.dep, for the 2.2.5-15 kernel, but NOT
for the 2.2.5-15smp kernel. Is this the reason why the smp kernel won't
boot? If so, can you tell me how to generate the file?

Thanks,
Robert
(626) 296-5879 Work

-