List:       linux-smp
Subject:    Re: General Linux & SMP
From:       "M () " <hixson () zoso ! frozenwave ! com>
Date:       1999-11-18 23:46:42

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, John Rowan wrote:

> Also, is anyone aware of drivers available for my STB TVPCI card?  In trying
> to migrate away from Windows my TV card is something I'm really going to
> miss.  I think Happague's TV card has Linux drivers available but I wanted
> to avoid having to buy new hardware.  STB has the TVPCI card in it's
> "legacy" products so I  know nothing will come from them.

I have a Hauppage WinTV PCI card in my Linux box (no Windows(tm) for me)
and it works beautifully with Linux.  I use KDE and kwintv is a great tv
application.  The driver I use is bttv.
  From the INSTALL file:

"  - Adjust CARD to one of the numbers below:

    0: Auto-Detect
    1: Miro
    2: Hauppauge
    3: STB
    4: Intel
    5: Diamond
    6: AVerMedia"

So it looks like the STB is supported.

> Lastly, someone please recommend some good reading materials on Linux.  I've
> seen Linux Unleashed and others but haven't purchased yet.  I'd rather
> solicit preferences here than add to my library something that is less than
> first class.

When I was first getting into Linux I bought Linux Unleashed and found it
to be an excellent book for beginners.  If you're not a beginner it
probably won't tell you a whole lot that you don't know already.
  Nowadays I find everything I could possibly want to know about Linux
online, so I don't even own any Linux books anymore.
  For Linux news of course http://www.slashdot.org and
http://www.linux.com, and for all the software that's fit to eat see
http://www.freshmeat.net .
  Just my $.02.